Monday, June 12, 2017

So...this is new (Plus Raspberry-filled Lemon Cake)

Welcome to my passion!

(Well, one of them...)

This is a new venture for me...baking blogging!  I love, love, love to bake, and once upon a time, my good friend Chris Barela and I joked about opening our own "baking company."  We were going to call it "3 Sweet Bees."  We don't live near each other anymore--she is a director of a regional educational center, and I am a principal in another part of the same state--but I have decided that now is the time for this to begin.

Except it's not really a "company"...because I don't sell anything.  🎂  Mostly I just bake a lot of stuff to give away--bake sales, silent auctions, public auctions, etc.  Maybe someday I will be able to slow down a bit and do this for my "retirement job," but for now, I'll just keep baking...and sharing here.

I live at 7500 feet elevation, so all of my recipes have been adjusted for high altitude.

This cake is a Raspberry-filled Lemon Cake that I made for a dessert auction to benefit our boys' basketball team.  

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and Flour 9-inch round pan.  (I used a heart-shaped pan and Wilton Cake Release).

Ingredients:
    • 2 3/4 cup all purpose flour, sifted
    • 1/4 cup corn starch
    • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1 1/2 cups (minus 2 tablespoons) sugar
    • 1/3 cup light olive oil
    • 1/3 cup softened organic coconut oil
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla paste (I use the Wilton brand found at Walmart)
    • 2 teaspoons pure lemon extract
    • 3 large eggs, room temperature
    • 1 1/2 cups milk
    • 1/4 cup lemon juice

Mix it Up:
  1. Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl.  When measuring flour, use the spoon and level method, rather than the scoop method.  
  2. Combine vegetable oil, extracts, and coconut oil in mixing bowl and mix using whisk attachment till well blended.  
  3. Add eggs, one at a time, until well blended and fluffy (mixture should be pale yellow in color after each addition).
  4.  Add half of dry ingredients and mix well.
  5.  Add milk and mix well
  6.  Add remaining dry mixture and mix well.
  7.  Add lemon juice and mix well
Bake it Up:

Pour half of batter into the pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Remove from oven and turn onto cooling rack.  Let cool completely.

Because I freeze all of my cakes for a day or two...or more...before baking, I put each layer in a twist tie bag (I find these at Walmart), squeeze all of the air out, then put in a gallon size freezer bag.  If the cake is too big, you can wrap it in two layers of plastic wrap and then a layer of waxed paper before freezing.

No comments:

Post a Comment